Defence School Mentor
The Springfield Anglican College is proud of the Student Care program offered at the College. As part of this program, we are delighted to have a Defence School Mentor (DSM) as part of the Student Care Team.
The DSM recognises the challenges of military life and they are able to provide unique support to Australian Defence Students and their families within the College community. There are currently more than 40 Australian Defence Force families within the community whom the DSM assists.
The role has been established in recognition that some Defence Force Children may experience some disruption to both the academic and social aspects of their schooling each time they move upon posting. Children may also experience difficulties during parental absences due to deployment, exercises, or courses. The DSM role is not a teacher or social worker, nor are they intended to work one-on-one with a student on a long-term basis, rather their role is purely one of support. The DSM program is funded by the Department of Defence through the Defence Member and Family Support (DMFS) (formally known as Defence Community Organisation – DCO)
The Defence School Mentor activities include:
- Assisting children and families to integrate into the new school and local community
- Coordinating welcoming and farewelling activities for relocating families
- Smoothing the transition between schools and different education systems (including minimising the impact of relocation on children’s learning outcomes)
- Monitoring the social, emotional and academic wellbeing of Defence students
- Enhancing awareness and appreciation of the unique Defence lifestyle in schools and communities
- Helping students develop self-confidence, self-reliance and resilience
- Directing students to programs, services or opportunities that suit their needs
- Providing support to children during times of parental Absence
- Providing opportunities for ADF families to meet other ADF families within the school community
Click here to view the Defence School Mentor Brochure
For further information, please contact the Defence School Mentor – Mrs Monique Weekley on email@example.com